More selected projects



by Ilya Sipyagin



Even I had no computational background before the course ,I have been experimenting with different bizzare modifications of aquabots (especially “Jellyfish submerge” type) during my Fine Art practice.
So I been stuck between two opposite perspectives. I can experiment more with different types of sensors and adjustments over the basic circuit of the machine , or I can concentrate more on plasticity and elegance of machine movement and behaviour.

As a result I choose the way of biological movement imitation and the idea of supporting independant-moving art platform.

Inspiration came from American robotic bio-artist Ken Rinaldo who describes himself as “an artist and theorist who creates interactive multimedia installations that blur the boundaries between the organic and inorganic.” Rinaldo: “ studied computer science at California’s Cañada College and currently oversees the Art & Technology curriculum at Ohio State University in Columbus. Working with previous students Ross Baldwin and Matt Howard, he initially unveiled the 2006 project dubbed Autotelematic Spider Bots in the U.K. The piece involved ten arachnid creations capable of engaging with an audience with the help of sensors. The bizarre robots further combined elements of the bat, bird and ant, with website Art and Electronic Media labeling them “chimeras.” The spiders walk with charm, communicate by way of bird sounds and can turn on cell phones, while long- and short-distance “eyes” allow for adaptive behavior.”

So I took his concept of biological crawler and simplify it to the point where I need only 12 servo motors which are implemented to 4 spider legs which was laser cutted from abs plastic and segmented on 3 independant parts.


Technological process and substitution

Instead of Arduino Uno I decided to use Arduino Mega 2500 as it's more suitable supplier and distributor of power, plus it has an import of two lithium 14500 batteries with a 3.7 volts power.
Any other batteries prove themselves too weak for supplying energy for 12 servo motors and a wi-fi sensor.

All servo connectors linked directly to arduino platform and soldered according to output positions.
For controllers I m using processing sketch compilation which been taken from githab link:

However its being modified for increase weight purposes and adjustment speed functions. Arduino code based on the same code as my photowore prototype, however the photo sensor part have been terminated.

Even that freenove provides the full code for this model , it has been modified by addition of external libraries as separate remote have been changed to phone control and calibration process being replaced with mechanical calibration.

As the original freenove kit gave all blueprints of particles online I decided to lazercut and mutate the original models of legs giving them ability to climb on 0.2-2 centimeter hights.

The 3d printed skull is just an example how this platform can be used as a portable mobile plinth and for future development I would like to combine mine project with any volunteer from physical computing course to show the full potential of my project.